Posted in Industry News, News
Are you looking for a new position in the Chemical Industry? Join CK’s specialist Chemical Industry Network on Linkedin!
CK Science are specialists in Chemical Industry recruitment. We have a dedicated Linkedin group to help jobseekers in the Chemical Industry.
CK utilise this group in order to provide our members with the most up-to-date job opportunities, careers advice and industry news. We’ve also found that it’s a great place to network with others in the area!
This specialist group is a really useful resource for you and your colleagues within the Chemical Industry.
Click here to join CK’s specialist Chemical Industry Network on Linkedin!
Posted in Jobs, News
Hannah Milward is looking for an experienced medical devices Product Evaluation Engineer to join a international medical devices organisation with a reputation for developing innovative and cutting edge products within this dynamic industry.
The primary objective of this Process Evaluation Engineer role is to improve the success of New Product Developments (NPD). The PE Engineer has responsibility for the generation of documentation and conduct of testing to support PE activities within NPD projects. The PE Engineer shall ensure that valid and robust data is obtained and documented during execution of validation and verification activities.
Key responsibilities of this role are:
- Produce design verification protocols, reports and perform the product testing where necessary.
- Design, develop and validate appropriate test methods
- Participate in NPD phase reviews, presenting the results and progress summaries of activities for which they are responsible.
- Ensure clinical model definition – translation of the intended clinical usage of a device into a definition in quantifiable engineering terms of the operational and environmental conditions that the device must with stand
- Participate in risk management and FMEA exercises.
- Review and contribute to the necessary design input documents
- Interface with design, marketing, clinical, manufacturing and quality teams to ensure the PE function is fully integrated within the NPD team
- Conduct programmes for extended life / reliability testing of new products
- Analyse and report on Customer Enquiries
- All other essential related duties as required
Qualifications & skills required:
To be considered for this Product Evaluation Engineer role you will possess the following:
- Degree or equivalent calibre in science, engineering or technology discipline with demonstrable relevant experience, preferably within the medical device industry
- Experience of quality or product test fields
- Good organisational skills
- Attention to detail
- Concern for quality and standards
- Customer focus
How to apply:
For more information or to apply for this Process Evaluation Engineer role please contact Hannah Milward at CK Science on 0114 2839956 or email@example.com. Please quote reference SH22946 in all correspondence.
Posted in Jobs, News
Hannah Milward is currently looking for a Plant Manager to join a agrochemical company in Telford in the West Midlands.
The role of Plant Manager is the most senior position on the Telford site and holds managerial status and responsibilities. As such the job holder is responsible for all of the activities carried out on the site even though the actual tasks are carried out by sub-ordinate staff. The job holder reports to the Managing Director who is based at head office. Responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Leading and Managing a staff of 30
- Ensuring pesticide manufacture is carried out safely and efficiently
- Ensuring that a management process is in place to produce quality products
- Ensure that the operations are carried out efficiently with attention to maximising output and reducing costs
- Planning the work schedule for the staff
- Keeping senior management informed of project/order progress
- Providing information for head office staff e.g. Export Manager for packing lists
- Ensuring that stock is kept in a well organised fashion and stock control records are kept up to date
- Ensuring manufacturing assets are maintained and delivering optimum performance.
- Responsible for allocating overtime on an as needed basis up to a maximum of £2000 pcm unless otherwise advised by the Marketing Director.
The ideal candidate for this Plant Manager role will have:
- Degree or equivalent in chemistry or a relevant discipline
- Excellence in management and motivation
- Previous track record of success in improving operations efficiency
- Experience in pesticide manufacture/formulation is desirable
- Natural leader
- Project and logistics management expertise
The benefits of this Plant Manager role are:
- Salary of circa £30K depending on experience plus a productivity bonus up to £5K pa
- 20 days annual leave
- Pension contribution by company after 1 years service
How to apply:
For more information or to apply for this Plant Manager role please contact Hannah Milward on 0114 2839956 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote reference SH22416 in all correspondence.
Posted in Jobs, News
Barney Smith at CK Science is looking for a Laboratory Manager to join an Environmental Consultancy who provides a range of services to clients internationally to join them at their site in Scotland. Due to a significant increase in workload they have a requirement for someone to run their sample process laboratory.
This Laboratory Manager role is high pressure and will involve:
- sample prep and analysis
- work planning and scheduling
- staff management
- costing of projects and quotes
- report writing
- maintenance of quality procedures
For this Laboratory Manager role a background in science and laboratory management would be useful but project management skills and planning work are essential for the role. You will also be confident enough to supervise staff, suggest change in procedures as required and negotiation. Your time will involve both analysis and management and you must be a self-starter who would be happy in a hands-on role.
How to apply:
For more information or to apply for this role please contact Barney Smith on 0191 384 8905 or email email@example.com. Please quote reference DH22579 in all correspondence.
Posted in Jobs, News
Our client a global leader within the pharmaceutical industry require a Supply Manager on a contract basis to join their team in Southern Scotland. The role is scheduled to last for a minimum of a year, however there is a likelihood the role will be extended.
As a Supply Manager reporting to the Logistics Manager of a busy manufacturing site and working alongside other Supply Managers, the successful applicant will be responsible for:
- The management of orders and forecasts with customers.
- Effectively responding to messages in Manugistics and SOLS alerts to ensure rapid response for customer requirements.
- Managing supply issues.
- Coordinate the resolution of supply issues (with Plant schedulers, QA and shipping) to ensure optimum delivery performance.
- Review Inventory Stock Policies to ensure effective stock management.
The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills and hold a qualification and/or have demonstrable experience within a planning environment. Experience of MERPS and SAP is also desirable although not necessary.
For more information or to apply for this Supply Manager role, please contact Graeme Pallas on 0191 384 8905 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote reference DH22205 in all correspondence.
Posted in Industry News
Liam O’Connell, Director at CK Science will be appearing on the expert panel at Biocity and the Healthcare & Bioscience iNet evening seminar, “Entrepreneurs, Universities and the Economy”.
The seminar follows a pro-enterpise speech at the end of 2010, during which Prime Minister David Cameron outlined his vision for turning the years ahead into the most entrepreneurial and dynamic in the history of the UK. He outlined his plan to build a new economic dynamism relying heavily on innovation and start-ups alongside collaboration between universities and businesses.
During the seminar, the BBC’s Working Lunch presenter Rob Pittam will ask the panel of experts:
1. What impact will the 23 March budget have on the life science industry and governments stated aim of boosting enterprise?
2. In particular how will this affect your business [i.e. the panel member’s] and what significant effects has government had on your business in the past- if any?
The panel members will include our very own Liam O’Connell and the following influential figureheads:
– Nigel Gaymond, Chief Executive, BioIndustry Association
– Dr Glenn Crocker, CEO, BioCity Nottingham
– Dr Dave Mead, Business Development Director, Novozymes Biopharma UK Ltd (pharmaceutical product manufacturers)
– Sameer Kothari ,Chief Executive, Zilico Ltd (cancer diagnostics company)
– Gwent Paylor , College Business Manager, School of Science & Technology, Nottingham Trent University
The seminar will be taking place this afternoon at the Biocity site in Nottingham.
Posted in Jobs
CK Science are currently recruiting for a Formulations Chemist to assist in the development of both topical pharmaceutical (for OTC and ethical markets) and cosmetic products.
The position will include laboratory-scale formulation development, the scale-up of potential formulations in a pilot facility, and involvement with technology transfer of development products into commercial manufacture in accordance with GMP.
Day to day you will be working on formulation development for new and existing products and monitoring them for physical/emulsion stability, pH and viscosity to find the optimum formulation. You will prepare supplies of Development Products for Accelerated Stability Studies by conducting manufacturing on a small scale for accelerated stability trials in a range of packaging materials and you will also prepare supplies of Development Products for Stability/Clinical Studies by manufacturing on a larger scale (up to 100 kg) at a pilot facility.
The ideal candidate will hold a degree/diploma or equivalent in a scientific discipline and will have Formulation experience gained preferably in pharmaceuticals/cosmetics or other skincare products. They will also have an appreciation of working in a GMP environment. Experience in the preparation of a range of new product formulations such as creams, gels, lotions and shampoos would be highly advantageous. Please note that semi solid formulations experience is essential.
For more information or to apply for this Formulations Chemist job, please contact Jason Johal at CK Science on 01438 723 500 or email email@example.com. Please quote reference ST21526 in all correspondence.
Posted in Industry News
David Liptrot, a student studying Chemistry at the University of Bath has been awarded Placement Student of the Year by ratemyplacement.co.uk.
During his placement year at AstraZeneca, David carried out work in synthetic research to improve access to compounds of potential therapeutic interest and was nominated by his University lecturer, Stever Roser.
Upon receiving the award, David stated ‘Finding new drugs is often very time consuming and can cost a great deal of money. The research involved looking at very small compounds that make up drugs and finding ways to improve how quickly and how many compounds are created.
This allows faster and more drug screening, effectively increasing the number of potential drugs that can be studied, and reduces the time taken and the overall cost of producing medicines.”
Are you a graduate looking for a career in science? Click here to read our job hunting tips for graduates.
Posted in Industry News
As reported by the BBC, The Swiss-based pharmaceutical company, Novartis are reportedly planning to close their drug development and manufacturing operations in Horsham, West Sussex, leading to hundreds of cuts to pharmaceutical jobs.
This site currently employees 950 staff and this is set to reduce to 400 within just two years. It produces approximately 60 different formulations of drugs. Staff will be retained who work on developing respiratory drugs in Horsham. Those focused on gastrointestinal medicines will be relocated to their units based in Cambridge, Massachusetts and Basel in Switzerland.
The announcement comes after a series of cuts by pharmaceutical companies across the UK. Including, Pfizer who are to close their research and development centre in Sandwich, Kent – potentially cutting up to 2,400 posts. In addition, both AstraZeneca and GlaxoSmithKline are shutting down sites across the UK.
Novartis have disputed the notion that their plans to close the Horsham site is linked to the decline in attractiveness of the UK in terms of innovation. General Manager, Sue Webb stated, “With significant changes in healthcare systems aimed to contain or cut cost, this critical assessment and the subsequent potential changes to the Novartis UK organisation are key to maintain significant investment in innovative drugs and our research efforts in the UK.”
The Swiss-based pharmaceutical company plan to maintain their manufacturing sites based in Grimsby, Liverpool and Dundee.
Are you looking for a new position in the UK Pharmaceutical Industry? Click here to search our current jobs now.