Posted in Job of the Week, News
Posted in Industry News, News
Pharmiweb have reported that scientists at the University of Abeerdeen have demonstrated for the first time a clear link between sunlight, vitamin D and an impact on regulatory cells in the immune system in findings that might provide new insights into diseases such as multiple sclerosis.
Some studies have suggested a link between vitamin D deficiency and autoimmune diseases such as MS. This possible link might also explain the increasing prevalence of autoimmune disease among those living far from the equator, where there are lower levels of winter sun
University of Aberdeen researchers studied patients in the north of Scotland – which has the highest rate of MS in the UK – who were being treated during winter with artificial UV-B light therapy for skin diseases caused by their immune systems acting inappropriately
Dr Anthony Ormerod, Clinical Reader in Dermatology at the University, said: “Our study shows that UV-B light, which mimics sunshine, can have a striking effect on the immune system of patients.
“We found that UV-B light boosted the production of vitamin D, and of regulatory T cells, which play an important role keeping our immune systems in check..While too much exposure to sunlight is harmful and increases skin cancer risk, these results suggest that subjects in our study would have some benefits from small amounts equivalent to summer exposure in the winter but more work needs to determine the role of sunlight and the role of supplementing the diet with vitamin D.”
Are you looking for a new science job in Scotland?
Click here to see our science jobs in Scotland!
Follow us on Twitter @CKScienceJobs to receive more industry news and CK jobs of the week updates
Posted in Jobs, News
We are currently recruiting for a “Pharmaceutical” Senior Scientist in Protein Chemistry LC-MS to join a Pharmaceutical Laboratory based a commutable distance from London in Berkshire, which performs a wide range of analytical contracts for a variety of pharmaceutical and healthcare companies.
As a Senior Protein Scientist LCMS the ideal candidate will lead and perform a range of routine and investigative analyses applying their expertise in the MS analysis of proteins, peptides and PTMs, whilst working to GMP quality standards.
The role of Senior Scientist is to undertake a combined supervisory and practical role within defined business areas of the Biotech sector. They will be working in a cross functional role in the Biotech sector which spans the Pharmaceutical laboratory, DNA and Protein laboratory and others but be based in the Pharmaceutical laboratory. They will be expected to play a key role in ensuring that delegated projects are managed effectively and that the customer’s requirements and contractual agreement are fulfilled in a timely manner.
They will contribute to the pharmaceutical business through leading and growing the LC-MS protein chemistry area by application of your expert knowledge whilst working to GMP quality standards. The role will involve performing, checking, supervising and training in your area of expertise in a range of routine and specialised analyses.
The ideal candidate for this Senior Protein Scientist LCMS role will be educated to degree level in a relevant scientific discipline (or equivalent) and will have an in depth understanding of protein structure-function and glycan structures. They will have demonstrable relevant laboratory experience in protein and glycoprotein analysis by MS including amino acid sequence analysis, peptide mapping, glycan characterisation and identification of other post-translational modifications. They will also have experience in discovery, development and/or structural elucidation of proteins.
Strong project management skills (including project plans, updates, flagging problems on time, etc) will be required as will a flexibility and adaptability to meet customer/business requirements. They will be well organised with the capability of working on multiple activities concurrently and will have meticulous attention to detail. Experience of working to GMP is highly desirable.
For more information or to apply for this Senior Protein Scientist LCMS role, please contact Jason Johal on 01438 723 500 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote reference ST22219 in all correspondence.
Posted in Jobs
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Protein Scientist to join a pharmaceutical laboratory based in Berkshire that performs a wide range of analytical contracts for a variety of pharmaceutical and healthcare companies.
In this Senior Protein Scientist role you will contribute to this through leading and performing a range of routine and investigative analyses applying your expertise in the MS analysis of proteins, peptides and PTMs, whilst working to GMP quality standards.
Roles and Responsibilities:
As Senior Protein Scientist, you will have the following roles and responsibilities:
- You will undertake a combined supervisory and practical role within defined business areas of the Biotech sector.
- You will be working in a cross functional role in the Biotech sector which spans the Pharmaceutical laboratory, DNA and Protein laboratory but based in the Pharmaceutical laboratory.
- You will be expected to play a key role in ensuring that delegated projects are managed effectively and that the customer’s requirements and contractual agreement are fulfilled in a timely manner.
The ideal candidate for this Protein Scientist position will have the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- The ability to undertake a range of routine and investigative analyses including sample preparation and interpretation of results, primarily by MS but may also include other classical protein chemistry techniques.
- The ability provide high quality customer service by ensuring effective workflow within the assigned area of responsibility, integrity of analytical data generated and timely/accurate provision of results.
- The ability to manage client queries, produce accurate quotations and ensure client’s expectations are achieved.
- You will be well organised and capable of working on multiple activities concurrently and will have meticulous attention to detail.
- You will also have the ability to take responsibility for projects and the ability to be able to discuss, problem solve/troubleshoot clients’ specific needs and deal with client queries as appropriate.
- Educated Degree level in a relevant scientific discipline (or equivalent) and will have an in-depth understanding of protein structure-function and glycan structures and experience in discovery, development and/or structural elucidation of proteins.
- Demonstrable relevant laboratory experience in protein and glycoprotein analysis by MS including amino acid sequence analysis, peptide mapping, glycan characterisation and identification of other post-translational modifications is essential.
- Demonstrable relevant laboratory experience in proteomics or metabolomics analysis using mass spectrometry is highly desirable as is experience of working to GMP.
How to apply:
For more information, or to apply for this Senior Protein Scientist position, please contact Jason Johal at CK Science on 01438 723 500 or email email@example.com. Please quote reference ST21861 in all correspondence.
Click here to apply for this Senior Protein Scientist job now.
Posted in General, News
Our client, a leading food manufacturing company, is currently seeking to recruit a Process Development Technologist to work with them at their site in Leicester on a temporary basis for a period of 3 months.
This Process Development Technologist role will involve being responsible for coordinating the manufacture of products from kitchen concept into factory within the commercial criteria signed off by the customer. Key departments this role will be involved with will include Operations, Engineering, Technical, Procurement, Planning, Commercial and NPD therefore communication and teamwork are key for this role.
Key responsibilities of this Process Development Technologist role will include:
- Attend product handover meetings to understand and challenge, where necessary, product attributes.
- Provide details of necessary quality standards for new products (including product life) ready for customer technologist sign-off.
- Completion of written and photographic standards for customer and operational areas
- Prepare scale-up recipes.
- Provide required packaging details to enable generation of keylines.
- Manage the ordering of new raw materials and packaging onto site.
- Effectively carry out and co-ordinate each stage of required factory trial programmes.
- Run pre-production trials with the customer in attendance.
- Send all required samples throughout the development process to the customer, as necessary.
The ideal candidate for this Process Development Technologist role will be educated to degree/HND level, or equivalent, in a food related discipline and have detailed knowledge of food manufacturing processes and experience in a high care chilled environment. Previous experience with M&S as a customer, an understanding of the underlying fundamentals of food processing specifically in the chilled food category as well as dough/pastry/batter knowledge would also be ideal but not essential.
If you would like to hear more about this job, please contact Russell Oakley on 0114 2839956 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not hear back from us within 5 working days of your application for this role, it means that on this occasion you have not been shortlisted for the next stage of the recruitment campaign. Entitlement to work in the EEA is essential. Please quote reference SH19333 in all correspondence.
Alternatively, click here to apply for this Process Development Technologist job now.
About CK Science
CK Science is the largest independent scientific recruitment company in the UK. Our team of specialist recruiters are here to help you achieve your career ambitions within the scientific industry. We actively offer you careers advice, help with writing your CV, assistance with interview preparation and up-to-date information about the industry. We pride ourselves on providing an honest, straight-forward and trustworthy service to both our clients and candidates.
Posted in Jobs, News
A new study, published in the New England Medical Journal shows that a drug produced by Genzyme and partner Bayer AG to combat leukaemia considerably reduces the risk of relapse in early Multiple Sclerosis. Scientists at Cambridge University hope the research will lead to improved treatment for the many sufferers of MS worldwide.
CK Science has a number of vacancies in scientific research and development, click here for more details.