Posted in Industry News, Job News, Mobile News, News
Each week, CK Science is providing a snapshot of the analytical chemistry jobs market. Over time, we aim to give you a picture of how it changes and evolves, and most importantly, how this may impact on you depending on overall demand and seasonal changes. So whether you are an Analyst looking for a new science job or an employer seeking new Chemist to join your team, we hope that this market snapshot helps you with your decision making.
Our tracking is based on each week screening some of the UKs leading vacancy boards for how many analytical chemistry jobs have been advertised within the previous week.
This summary was completed on Monday 23rd May and relates to adverts posted for Analytical Chemists on:
- New Scientist
- CV Library
- Willey job network
- Access Science jobs.
Our results showed that from these job boards a total of 477 Chemistry jobs were published last week, with:
- 363 permanent roles
- 114 temporary or contract roles
This week we have tracked a small uplift in the number of scientific jobs being advertised. These roles are predominantly contract and temporary positions, which implies that science recruitment is following the same trend CK is tracking in its other divisions.
We have identified a pattern of behaviour that we are attributing to the upcoming Brexit Referendum and the uncertainty around the UK’s future. As such, CK clients are opting to recruit contract staff rather than commit to permanent expansion of their workforce, thereby safe guarding them against whatever decision comes from the vote. As the results are not due until 23-24 June, we foresee this continuing for the coming weeks.
Posted in Jobs
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Protein Scientist to join a pharmaceutical laboratory based in Berkshire that performs a wide range of analytical contracts for a variety of pharmaceutical and healthcare companies.
In this Senior Protein Scientist role you will contribute to this through leading and performing a range of routine and investigative analyses applying your expertise in the MS analysis of proteins, peptides and PTMs, whilst working to GMP quality standards.
Roles and Responsibilities:
As Senior Protein Scientist, you will have the following roles and responsibilities:
- You will undertake a combined supervisory and practical role within defined business areas of the Biotech sector.
- You will be working in a cross functional role in the Biotech sector which spans the Pharmaceutical laboratory, DNA and Protein laboratory but based in the Pharmaceutical laboratory.
- You will be expected to play a key role in ensuring that delegated projects are managed effectively and that the customer’s requirements and contractual agreement are fulfilled in a timely manner.
The ideal candidate for this Protein Scientist position will have the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- The ability to undertake a range of routine and investigative analyses including sample preparation and interpretation of results, primarily by MS but may also include other classical protein chemistry techniques.
- The ability provide high quality customer service by ensuring effective workflow within the assigned area of responsibility, integrity of analytical data generated and timely/accurate provision of results.
- The ability to manage client queries, produce accurate quotations and ensure client’s expectations are achieved.
- You will be well organised and capable of working on multiple activities concurrently and will have meticulous attention to detail.
- You will also have the ability to take responsibility for projects and the ability to be able to discuss, problem solve/troubleshoot clients’ specific needs and deal with client queries as appropriate.
- Educated Degree level in a relevant scientific discipline (or equivalent) and will have an in-depth understanding of protein structure-function and glycan structures and experience in discovery, development and/or structural elucidation of proteins.
- Demonstrable relevant laboratory experience in protein and glycoprotein analysis by MS including amino acid sequence analysis, peptide mapping, glycan characterisation and identification of other post-translational modifications is essential.
- Demonstrable relevant laboratory experience in proteomics or metabolomics analysis using mass spectrometry is highly desirable as is experience of working to GMP.
How to apply:
For more information, or to apply for this Senior Protein Scientist position, please contact Jason Johal at CK Science on 01438 723 500 or email email@example.com. Please quote reference ST21861 in all correspondence.
Click here to apply for this Senior Protein Scientist job now.
Posted in Jobs
Our client, a leading Analytical Testing Laboratory specialising in Petrochemical, Oil & Gas and other Chemical testing, are currently looking for an Analytical Chemist to join their Chromatography Laboratory based from their site in Hampshire.
Working as an Analytical Chemist, you will be responsible for analysis of fuels, lubricants and greases using Ion Chromatography (IC) analysis as well as more routine wet chemistry such as pH by pH electrode, density measurement and conductivity measurement in line with ASTM & IP methods.
This is an exciting role to join a rapidly expanding organisation, in their state-of-the-art testing laboratory. In return they offer an attractive salary and benefits package.
To be considered for this Analytical Chemist role, you will have a degree (or equivalent) in Analytical Chemistry or a related Chemistry discipline. Industrial experience using Ion Chromatography in the analysis of chemical samples would be advantageous, but training will be provided.
For more information, please contact Andrew Bolton at CK Science on 01438 723 500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quotereference ST21842 in all correspondence.
Posted in General, News
Our client is a leading testing facility for the metal and refractory material manufacturing industries and is based in the South Yorkshire region. The company is currently looking for a chemist to join their team to prepare, carry out analysis and report results on metal and refractory materials using a wide range of tests including XRF and ICP-OES.
Further duties of this Chemist role are as follows:
- Preparing samples prior to analysis (drying, milling, drilling, grinding).
- Booking in samples as required.
- Carrying out acid/alkaline dissolution.
- Preparing fused beads.
- Undertaking routine and non-routine analytical work as required.
- Reporting results to meet agreed laboratory quality and turnaround policies.
- Updating QC data.
- High involvement in housekeeping.
The ideal candidate will have a degree (or equivalent) in pure or inorganic Chemistry and MUST have practical experience of both XRF and ICP used to test metals and inorganics. You will ideally have worked in the metals or refractory industry rather than just academia, although PhD students with experience in this field will be considered. Entitlement to work in the EEA is essential.
If you would like more information, please contact Russell Oakley on 0114 2839956 or email email@example.com quoting reference SH18865 in all correspondence.
About CK Science
CK Science is the largest independent scientific recruitment company in the UK. Our team of specialist recruiters are here to help you achieve your career ambitions within the scientific industry. We actively offer you careers advice, help with writing your CV, assistance with interview preparation and up-to-date information about the industry. We pride ourselves on providing an honest, straight-forward and trustworthy service to both our clients and candidates. Please visit our website at www.ckscience.co.uk.