Tenni Cole-Etti at CK Science is recruiting for multiple Protein Scientists to join a global provider of proprietary diagnostic tools, consumables and reagents for the Life Sciences industry, initially based at their site in Hertfordshire but with the intention of moving to Cambridge.
They require a highly motivated Protein Scientist who has had previous experience of working on protein scaffold/antibody technologies in either the biotech/pharma sector. Your role will be to express and biophysically characterise Affimers generated by phage display, identify leads with good drug development properties, engineer leads with half-life extension technologies and produce high quality material for pre-clinical studies.
The main purpose of the role will be to:
- Clone, express and purify lead Affimers for protein characterisation work, binding studies and stability testing
- Clone, express, purify and characterise recombinant proteins to be used in phage screens, ELISA/cell based assays from a range of expression platforms
- Engineer Affimers with serum half-life extension technologies (e.g. as Fc-fusions)
- Carry out optimisation studies to increase Affimer production from microbial hosts
- Develop bench scale protein purification protocols using conventional chromatography resins to purify gram quantities of Affimer
- Set up and carry out HPLC based assays to characterise Affimers (e.g. size exclusion, reverse phase chromatography etc.)
- Carry out accelerated stability studies on Affimers and characterise changes that may occur
- Clone, express and purify recombinant proteins using a range of expression systems including CHO/HEK and fully characterise them using a range of methods
- Produce high quality Affimer and tool molecules for pre-clinical studies
- Present work/data to clients and writing scientific reports
- Maintain a current and accurate laboratory record (lab notebook) of all activities
In order to be considered for this role, you will be required to have the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- A BSc/PhD degree in protein biochemistry, protein engineering or molecular biology or equivalent
- Laboratory experience of working with therapeutic protein scaffolds and antibodies
- Standard DNA manipulation/cloning techniques and protein engineering including working with a range of protein expression platforms (bacterial, Pichia and mammalian)
- Mammalian cell culture, transfections, culturing and maintaining cells for protein production
- Large scale protein production experience would be an advantage
- Practical knowledge of the AKTA purification platform and Unicorn software and using conventional chromatography resins e.g. ion exchange
- Developing HPLC based assays for protein characterisation
- Excellent knowledge of a range of methodologies to characterise proteins (e.g. Biacore, ELISA, Western blot)
- A good understanding of protein engineering and protein biophysics to investigate structure/functional relationships would be an advantage
- Knowledge or experience of protein NMR and crystallography would also be an advantage
If you are employed by this client you will be joining a company providing instrumentation, consumables and reagents for life science researchers.
For more information or to apply for this Protein Scientist position please contact Tenni on 01438 842 974 or email email@example.com. Alternatively, please click on the link below to apply online now.
CK Science is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all who meet our selection criteria.
If you do not hear back from us within 5 working days of your application for this role, it means that on this occasion you have not been shortlisted for the next stage of the recruitment campaign. Entitlement to work in the EEA is essential. Please quote reference ST34736 in all correspondence.