Product Designer / Colour Formulator, Merseyside
Victoria Walker at CK Science is recruiting for a Product Designer / Colour Formulator to join a colour and additives manufacturing company based in Merseyside, on a full time, permanent basis.
As a Product Designer / Colour Formulator, the main purpose of your role will be to create cost-effective products which are carefully designed to meet both a customer's specifications and internal, company requirements. This person will be responsible for receiving samples, putting together colour formulations, deciding which pigments would be used (while remaining commercially aware - i.e. being aware of keeping costs down etc.), testing their product and communicating this to the commercial and manufacturing teams.
Further responsibilities of this Product Designer / Colour Formulator will include:
- Meeting exactly the specification provided by the Sales Team or Technical Manager
- Providing an accurate colour-match against a given standard
- Ensuring time frames set by the Sales Team or Technical Manager are adhered to.
- Working in a safe manner at all times following Company Health and Safety guidelines.
- Working in line with relevant standard operating procedures.
- Formulating new or selecting existing products which meet the customer's requirements
- Producing plastic parts using laboratory & Injection Plastic Moulding equipment to assess colour formulations against a standard.
- Preparation of small parts or samples for the purpose of trial or demonstration.
- Researching the most technically appropriate & cost effective materials to use in a formulation.
- Accurate recording of formulation details and entry of formulations onto a database.
- Adding colours to in-house colour database.
- Ensuring that work is completed against tight deadlines.
- Communicating effectively and clearly with colleagues in Sales, Manufacturing and other Technical functions in the group.
- Continuous improvement of performance against personal targets and departmental targets.
As a Product Formulator / Colour Designer, you will have the following qualifications, skills and experience: Essential
- Previous industrial hands on experience in the colour industry, preferably for plastics but paints / coatings / inks / pigments may be considered
- Full colour vision
- Sound numeracy skills - your mental arithmetic will be called upon frequently
- Attention to detail
- Problem Solving
- Good communication skills as well as the ability to liaise with strong characters while remaining professional
- Strong IT skills - any experience with SAP would be advantageous
- Commercial awareness
Comfortable operating machinery Desirable
HNC or equivalent strongly preferred in Chemistry / Polymer Science / Polymer Engineering
- Previous experience in the plastics industry or colour industry
- Familiarity with Injection Moulding equipment or other plastics processing equipment.
- Experience using pigments & dyes
- Colour matching experience (Including use of a Colour Spectrophotometer)
- Lean / 5 S knowledge
- Experience with the formulation of liquid dispersions.
As Product Designer / Colour Formulator you will be working with a liquid colour and additives manufacturing company based in Merseyside.
- Degree of flexibility required with respect to working hours and travel (possible requirement to travel occasionally to other sites in Europe).
- In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, other duties may be assigned by the Line Manager.
- Hours will be 9-5.30 Monday to Friday. The company may be somewhat flexible (30 mins or so) if required, at their discretion.
- The company is specifically looking for someone based locally to the site (within circa 20 miles).
- This role reports to the Science and Analytical Manager R&D and is part of the Product Design Department.
- Interviews may take the form of a telephone interview in the first instance, otherwise there will be a 1/ 2 stage interview process on site.
For more information or to apply for this Color Designer / Product Formulator position please contact Victoria Walker on 01246 457700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, please click on the link to apply online now.
CK Science is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all who meet our selection criteria.
If you do not hear back from us within 5 working days of your application for this role, it means that on this occasion you have not been shortlisted for the next stage of the recruitment campaign. Entitlement to work in the EEA is essential. Please quote reference SH33894 in all correspondence.