Neuroimmunology Scientist - Surrey
Jason Johal is currently recruiting for a Neuroimmunology Scientist to join a dedicated team of scientists providing an outsourced service to one of the top ten largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. This role is based at the client's research and development site in Surrey which is commutable from London, Oxford, Reading and Guildford and is offered on a permanent basis with a salary of £32,000 to £40,000.
With experience of cellular and biochemical assay development you will be working within a multidisciplinary team investigating the molecular and cellular mechanisms underlying human neurodegenerative diseases, in particular Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease.
The focus of this position will be to identify and validate novel drug targets and implement biological assays to support drug discovery programs. This will include the design, characterisation and validation of biochemical, biophysical and cellular assays and the utilisation of different in vitro systems i.e. cell lines and neuronal cultures that model propagation of pathogenic proteins associated with neurodegenerative disorders.
We are looking for a candidate to establish, validate and run in vitro biochemical and cell-based assays in support of neuroscience drug discovery projects within the area of Neuroimmunology. They will make major contributions to neuroscience biology experimental platform and assay development. They will also provide problem solving and technical mentorship for junior staff within technical areas.
The main responsibilities of this role will be to:
- Design, validate, troubleshoot, and perform molecular, biochemical, biophysical and cell-based assays.
- Maintain and manipulate cell and neuronal cultures and perform biochemical or functional assays in relevant cultured cell models: recombinant cells, primary, isolated and iPSC-derived neurons, microglia, astrocytes or organotypic slices.
- Perform assays that might include: RT-PCR, Fluorescence Polarization, AlphaScreen, ELISA, MSD, SDS-PAGE, WB , FACS and/or High Content Imaging.
- Measure biochemical or functional parameters in cells using techniques including microscopy, calcium imaging, live fluorescence imaging of organelle trafficking, immunocytochemistry, morphology, live/dead cell assays.
- Develop novel biochemistry and cell biology assays as appropriate to individual drug discovery project needs.
You are required to have the following qualifications, skills and experience:· Ph.D. in Neuroimmunology, Immunology or related field or equivalent.
- Experience related to neuroimmunological aspects of neurodegenerative diseases.
- Sound knowledge on neurodegenerative diseases area.
- Working knowledge of the relevant key literature on biochemical techniques, cellular assays and cell biology.
- Sound knowledge of experimental design and statistics for biology experimental work.
- Hands-on experience with immune cell biology and related experimental models.
- Hands-on experience with molecular and biochemical assays (ELISA-like, WB), microscopy and imaging, immunocytochemistry, morphology, live/dead cell assays.
- Ability to analyse and interpret biochemical and cell based imaging data and identify errors.
- Capable of independently designing experiments, generating data, interpreting results and documenting work.
Our client has 7,000 employees who work just within the Research Laboratories, spanning more than 50 countries worldwide and are the 7th largest investor in R&D in the UK within the pharmaceutical sector. The successful candidate will be a full time fixed term employee of the CK Group and will be working for CK as part of a very busy, productive team of scientists that CK provide for our client as an outsourced function. As such they must be able to demonstrate enthusiasm, dedication and self-motivation together with the desire to acquire new skills.
For more information or to apply for this Neuroimmunology role please contact Jason Johal on 01438 723500 or email email@example.com. Alternatively please click on the link below to apply online. Please note that your CV should show exact dates of employment (month and year) and any gaps of a month or more should be explained.
CK Group is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all who meet our selection criteria.
If you do not hear back from us within 5 working days of your application for this role, it means that on this occasion you have not been shortlisted for the next stage of the recruitment campaign. Entitlement to work in the EEA is essential. Please quote reference 45194 in all correspondence.