Molecular Biologist - Cambridgeshire
Tenni Cole-Etti is currently recruiting for a Molecular Biologist to join a Group's focus on “Affimer” technology, a revolutionary alternative to antibodies, which it is commercialising. Antibodies are the gold standard affinity reagents used in life sciences and they dominate research, diagnostic, and therapeutic markets worth over $50bn despite their limitations. “Affimer” technology is based on a small protein that can be engineered to bind with high specificity and affinity to a wide range of protein targets. They are generated rapidly in a few weeks without any use of animals and are cheap to manufacture.
The company are actively looking to expand the team to support the development of their own proprietary Affimer based product pipeline focusing on oncology and inflammatory diseases. This role is offered on a full time, permanent basis and will be based in Cambridge.
Your main responsibilities in this role will be to:
- Generate high quality recombinant protein targets from a range of expression systems.
- Modify target proteins and fully characterising the product for functional activity.
- Generate and design random and/or rationally designed DNA display libraries for both naive and affinity maturation.
- Execute repeated rounds of phage display planning against the generated protein targets.
- Characterise phage derived Affimer candidates hits via SPR (Biacore or similar platform), ELISA and cell based assays.
- Sequence phage candidates via next generation DNA sequencing and interpreting the data.
- Sub-clone candidate Affimers into the appropriated protein expression system for lab scale production and HIS-tag purification.
- Format lead Affimers with serum half-life extension technologies (e.g. as a Fc-fusion) and characterising the molecules for functional activity.
- Keep up to date on latest phage display and related technologies.
- Present work/data to clients and write scientific reports
- Maintain a current and accurate laboratory record (lab notebook) of all activities
In order to be considered for this role, you will be required to have the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- A BSc/PhD degree in Molecular Biology, Microbiology or protein biochemistry (or equivalent)
- Laboratory experience of screening and engineering therapeutic protein scaffolds or antibodies fragment technologies using display technologies.
- A high level of lab based competency in molecular biology, manipulating DNA and creating expression constructs.
- Experience of various phage display selection strategies (e.g. passive immobilisation, bead capture etc.)
- A track record of characterising the output of phage screens using target binding assays (e.g. RBA, ELISA, cell based assays, Biacore etc)
- Experience of any Display Technologies (e.g. yeast)
- Extensive experience of recombinant protein expression systems (E. coli, yeast and mammalian), protein purification and characterisation (SDS-PAGE, Western blot etc)
- Experience with mammalian cell culture, maintaining and culturing cells.
If you are employed by this client you will be joining a group dedicated to providing Life Scientists with high quality, powerful, unique tools to enable them to work faster and smarter in accelerating our understanding of biology and disease, and to help them apply these advances to diagnosis and treatment of humans and animals.
For more information or to apply for this Molecular Biologist position please contact Tenni on +44 (0)1438 723 500 or email email@example.com. Alternatively, please click on the link below to apply online now.
CK Science is an Equal Opportunities employer who welcomes applications from all who meet our selection criteria.
If you do not hear back from us within 5 working days of your application for this role, it means that on this occasion you have not been shortlisted for the next stage of the recruitment campaign. Entitlement to work in the EEA is essential. Please quote reference ST38302 in all correspondence.