Material Scientist - Billingham
Natalie Wood at CK Group is recruiting for a Material Scientist to join the battery materials team of a multinational chemicals company, based at their site in Billingham on a permanent basis.
Our client is a global market leader in the sustainable technologies industry, employing over 14,000 people worldwide. They have recently invested heavily in their state of the art battery material facilities, and are undergoing a period of growth. The company offer exceptional opportunities for personal and career development.
This role is located at their Billingham site, easily accessible from across North East England, with good road links from the A19. The site offers ample free parking.
This role provides an exciting opportunity to drive excellence and innovation in materials characterisation, with the role holder providing expert advice to the onsite analytical QC function and support to the product and process development teams, including responsibility for test method development and equipment set up in our new laboratory. In addition, this role provides a critical interface with the global battery materials and analytical community, to share/develop and roll out advanced methods and onboard new techniques.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Onsite ownership of methods for Powder Morphology analysis, data collation, data processing and data presentation templates. Further, responsibility to develop these techniques for use by the overall team
- Work closely with Quality team and Analytical QC teams to ensure automotive quality and best practice are met for morphology characterisation activities; includes effective data and meta data capture, ensuring controlled operating procedures are used and appropriate records are maintained
- Support installation, commissioning and validation of equipment for powder morphology analysis including BET and PSD in the Application Centre, ensuring regular standards, calibration and maintenance
- Training and coaching of wider Analytical QC team on-site to operate equipment effectively and deploy best practice; responsibility to implement and support effective roll out of current and advanced analytical tests to other sites including planned Commercial plants and Application Centres
- Drive method innovation activities across the morphology analysis space; develop improved methods for understanding process and product innovations, in collaboration with the Product Innovation, analytical and Global Applications teams. This includes remit to access, where deemed appropriate, advanced/alternative techniques via the wider analytical community and external collaborations
- Assists with hosting customer visits to showcase new Centre and analytical equipment, advancing customer relationships and building & customer understanding of our capabilities
Your Background: To be considered for the position, you should have the following skills and experience: You will have/be
- Strong academic background in Chemistry, Material science or related field
- Proven technical expertise in materials morphology characterisation, including powder properties, particle size, shape and surface area analysis. Experience operating in a business environment will be viewed as advantageous
- A track record of successfully developing, onboarding and translating new tests and procedures across teams.
- Experience in a Quality system environment (e.g. automotive) will be viewed as advantageous
- Attention to detail with a clear understanding of the importance of rigorous data management, sample tracking and change management in alignment with Quality systems.
- Demonstrable experience delivering on challenging deadlines in a dynamic, automotive-facing environment
- Highly effective communicator, with experience influencing deliverables across functions and sites
- Experience in a laboratory environment managing the risks associated with nickel and cobalt based powders will be viewed as advantageous
The Benefits: The company offer an exceptional benefits package, which can include:
- Company pension plan
- Share incentive options
- Private medical cover
- Flexible holiday entitlements
For more information or to apply for this position, please contact Natalie Wood on 01246 457700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, please click on the link below to apply online now. Please note that your CV should show exact dates of employment (month and year) and any gaps of a month or more should be explained.
CK Group is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all who meet our selection criteria.
If you do not hear back from us within 5 working days of your application for this role, it means that on this occasion you have not been shortlisted for the next stage of the recruitment campaign. Entitlement to work in the EEA is essential. Please quote reference 45438 in all correspondence.