Industrial Viral Vector Lead - London
Jason Johal at CK Science is currently recruiting for an Industrial Viral Vector Lead to join a major new initiative to grow a cell therapy industry delivering health and wealth for the UK. Its vision is for the UK to be a global leader in the development, delivery and commercialisation of cell therapies, and a place where businesses can start, and confidently grow.
The company are currently developing a £55 million UK cell manufacturing centre to be based in Hertfordshire. The purpose of this facility will be the GMP manufacture of cell and gene products for Phase III clinical trials, to augment the current UK manufacturing capability, which is anticipated to reach capacity by 2017. This large scale manufacturing centre will supplement the process development and scale-up capabilities already established in-house at the companies development laboratories in London.
This has created a new opportunity for an Industrial Viral Vector Lead to work with the Head of Manufacturing Development to lead and deliver on a programme for the industrialisation of viral vectors for in vivo and ex vivo cell therapy use at the central research laboratories. Therefore we are looking for a high calibre individual who is passionate about helping to develop a sustainable cell and gene therapy sector in the UK and who wants to play a pivotal role in delivering new therapies to the clinic.
The role will be a high profile one, both within the organisation and externally facing. The person will be responsible for the development of the company's viral vector industrial strategy and will provide leadership and management of key collaborations, from both academia and industry. The individual will be accountable for a team of scientists responsible for delivering development projects.
Your main responsibilities in this role will be:
- Leadership of the viral vector industrialisation team
- Determination and delivery of viral vector process and analytical development projects through technical and operational oversight.
- Costing proposals for partners and supporting the BD function during new project scoping by providing technical support activities.
- Having strong interaction with the Tech Transfer function and Project Managers to enable the development and tech transfer of viral vector processes.
- Having strong interaction with academic and industry based groups to provide engineering solutions for vector cell line development, upstream and downstream bioprocessing
- Generating manufacturing and development protocols in relation in vivo and ex vivo gene therapy products to support technology development and regulatory submissions
- Input into the design and establishment of operating principles at the company's GMP Manufacturing Centre.
You are required to have the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- Deep experience of upstream and downstream bioprocessing of viral vectors including viral vector biology and cell line development· Experience of working with GMP regulations to manufacture viral vectors, cell therapies or other biologics
- Experience of cell culture of human and/or mammalian cell lines.
- Experience of chromatography, filtration and other separation / purification techniques
- Experience of leading a team of scientists to achieve a common goal
- Experience of tech transfer to/from commercial and research organisations
- Experience of viral vectors used in the ex vivo and in vivo modification of products is essential
- Experience of delivering on agreed commercial objectives
- Extensive experience working in process development, industrialisation, scale-up or GMP manufacturing roles, it would be desirable that at least part of which is within industry
- The ability to inspire, lead and line manage a team
- The ability and confidence to manage upwards to executive level
- The ability to formulate strategic direction for viral vector bioprocessing within the UK cell and gene therapy industry
- Knowledge and the capability to be the face of the viral vector industrialisation strategy for the company
- The ability to build relationship with external Contract Manufacturing Organisations and developer companies
- A PhD or equivalent in bioprocessing, viral vector biology or similar
If successful you will be joining a new initiative that is the UK's response to the translational gap between early-stage research and the later stages of clinical development in regenerative medicine and that will be shaping the UK cell therapy landscape.
For more information or to apply for this Industrial Viral Vector Lead position please contact Jason on +44 (0)1438 723 500 or email email@example.com. Alternatively, please click on the link below to apply online now.
CK Science is an Equal Opportunities employer who welcomes applications from all who meet our selection criteria.
Entitlement to work in the EEA is essential. Please quote reference ST33463.