Head of Organic Chemistry - Cambridge
Jason Johal at CK Science is currently recruiting for a Head of Organic Chemistry to join an exciting biotech company specialising in the large-scale purification of biologics, drug development, proteomics and the elimination of pathogens to a growing base of industry leaders. Based in Cambridge, this role is offered on a full time permanent basis.
The key aspects of the role will be; 1) to plan, implement and control assigned project programmes to ensure that agreed research deadlines are met and Company business targets are achieved. 2) To ensure the timely development of robust and scalable manufacturing processes which meet the Company's quality and financial targets. 3) To manage, develop and appraise the Chemical Development Team and 4) to undertake the role of Health and Safety Officer for the Cambridge R&D site
Your main responsibilities in this role will be to:
- Fulfil the role as senior chemist on site and provide leadership for ongoing support to R & D and manufacturing
- Provide the company with expert knowledge on organic synthesis and the development of safe, cost-effective and scaleable chemical manufacturing processes
- Develop, monitor and direct the Chemical Development team and review their work to ensure that agreed deadlines are achieved and quality standards maintained
- Manage any R & D projects assigned by senior management and monitor, control and maintain the associated project master files and data
- Manage technology transfers from the Cambridge R & D site to the Company's manufacturing sites
- Recommend capital purchases including sourcing, negotiating on pricing supply along with providing justification for approval for capex expenditure
- Develop, agree and implement (in collaboration with QA) effective and efficient Standard Operating Procedures for both internal and external use
- Ensure all interactions with outside organisations are covered by the appropriate legal documentation (Material Transfer and Confidentiality Agreements) and that the professional image of the Company is maintained at all times
- To ensure novel inventions within the development group are promptly reported to senior management and to assist in the writing and filing of patent applications
You are required to have the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- Extensive management experience gained in the pharmaceutical, fine chemical or biotech fields and ideally involving the development of chromatography products
- Expert knowledge and practical experience of organic synthesis, solid-phase chemistry, biochemical, and chemical development and chemical process scale-up
- Good knowledge of peptide synthesis, carbohydrate chemistry and ligand immobilisation methods
- A strong background in technical transfer/Scale up of synthetic process and production facilities
- Knowledge and practical experience of chemical or biochemical engineering
- Good project management and people management skills
- Good knowledge of modern analytical techniques
- Working knowledge of Bioseparations and Downstream Processing
- Track record of patent fillings, journal publications and presentations at scientific meetings
- Good negotiation skills
- A PhD scientist or equivalent
- You must have a detailed awareness of quality requirements relevant to your job, a general awareness of the potential effect of your actions on the quality of the final product (material or services) and always demonstrate a basic understanding of Quality Management Systems (QMS) on site
If you are employed by this client you will be joining a company that uses its own affinity technology for highly efficient extraction and purification of therapeutic proteins from human plasma in order to develop best-in-class therapeutics and orphan drugs and is also active in developing its own novel small-molecule therapeutic products targeting unmet medical needs in the field of fibrosis, cancer and autoimmune diseases/inflammation.
For more information or to apply for this Head of Organic Chemistry position please contact Jason on +44 (0)1438 723 500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, please click on the link below to apply online now.
CK Science is an Equal Opportunities employer who welcomes applications from all who meet our selection criteria.
If you do not hear back from us within 5 working days of your application for this role, it means that on this occasion you have not been shortlisted for the next stage of the recruitment campaign. Entitlement to work in the EEA is essential. Please quote reference ST32402 in all correspondence.