The UK is currently experiencing its lowest unemployment rate since 1975, 4.3%, resulting in almost full employment. However, the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) sector is experiencing a significant skill and talent shortage which has created a candidate driven market.
As a result, the recruitment process can often be a frustrating one that can cost your company time, money and perhaps more importantly, good candidates and here is why:
Recruiting can be a time consuming and at times laborious process. Why?
- Sifting through potentially hundreds of CVs and shortlisting potential candidates is a very time-consuming activity.
- A large number of applications can run the risk of suitable candidates being overlooked.
- This can potentially lead to Directors, Managers and Senior staff being diverted away from important projects and staff development.
- Once candidates are shortlisted, arranging interviews and diaries can also lead to time-consuming communications.
A very common expression in business is ‘time is money’ and this can certainly be the case in recruiting due to:
- Money spent advertising the role – is your advert cost-effective and attracting the calibre of candidates desired?
- Time spent by senior staff in the initial stages of recruitment can lead to time spent away from important research, projects and staff development which can ultimately cost the company money.
- Training and induction programmes can be costly.
- It is therefore important to appoint the correct candidate in order to not repeat this process.
Being in a candidate driven market has placed an ever growing importance of managing candidate expectations and feedback. Clients can often be frustrated by losing out on talent, the main reason being:
- Good candidates can often be juggling more than one interview at a time.
- This can ultimately lead to multiple offers and occasionally counter-offers from existing employers.
- It is therefore essential that there is a quick turnaround to secure that candidate.
Take a look at our top tips for recruiting candidates in this infographic here:
(click on the infographic and zoom in)
How can we help with these issues?
CK Science is one of the UK’s leading scientific, chemical, waste, biotechnology and pharmaceutical recruitment companies. Working with companies ranging in size from SMEs to global leading industries, we offer specialist and experienced consultants who:
- Obtain as much information as possible regarding the role being recruited for and the type of candidate who will be the ideal fit for the business.
- Have access to an extensive candidate database and already existing candidate relationships.
- Have access to CVs through job boards including Indeed, CV-Library and access to LinkedIn Premium.
- Comprehensively vet their candidates to ensure that you only receive candidates suitable for the role.
- Liaise with the candidate and client to arrange interviews.
All of these services are delivered using dedicated consultants that ensure high levels of quality service and are free of charge up to candidate commencement.
If you would like any advice on the above or assistance with your recruitment, please contact James Horne on 0191 384 8905 or firstname.lastname@example.org.