Join an innovative biotech working to shape the future of medicine with powerful therapeutic and diagnostic systems.
In partnership with CK Group, Avacta are looking for a number highly self-motivated, talented individuals to join them at their state-of-the-art facilities based in Cambridge.
Avacta is developing Affimer bio-therapeutics to meet the growing demand for the next generation of drugs that will compete with monoclonal antibodies and other antibody mimetics, primarily in oncology. The Affimer technology is a novel protein scaffold based on the human protease inhibitor Stefin A. Key benefits of the Affimer technology are its small size, ease of formatting, high expression yields (even in large multimeric structures) and stability.
Avacta are also developing a range of novel FAP-a activated pro-drug chemotherapeutics (pre | CISION™ and TMAC™) that can be used as mono or combination therapies for the treatment of a wide range of cancers. The company’s first drug AVA6000 has recently been approved (February 2021) for clinical trials.
Avacta’s facilities are conveniently based in Cambridge, near Whittlesford Parkway Station, in state-of-the-art laboratories, offering an exciting and innovative environment where you will have the opportunity to develop your career with them.
The roles on offer
- Project management of multiple projects, both internal and external.
- You should be qualified to at least degree level in a life science subject with experience of working in a project management role in NHS, biotech, biopharma, CMO, CRO or clinical trials.
Principal Scientist, Immunology
- Design, conduct and evaluate experiments to identify Affimers that modulate immune function and develop and troubleshoot assays including immunoassays (ELISA, Flow cytometry, Biacore), T-cell proliferation, T-cell suppression assay, andB-cell proliferation.
- You should be educated to PhD level, preferably in immunology with experience in scientific and leadership roles within the biopharma industry.
Scientist/Senior Scientist Bio-Assays
- Design, plan and perform complex and potentially novel immunology screening assays with minimal support and supervision and be responsible for the development/optimisation of assays, scheduling/coordination/performance of labactivities, and ensuring that timelines are met.
- You should be educated ideally to PhD level in a relevant life sciences field with experience in Immunoassay development (binding, competitive, bridging ELISA) in an industry position.
Senior Scientist – Cell Line Development
- Support the Assay and Biology groups to identify the potent Affirmer and support advance novel immunotherapy drug candidates based on the Affimer platform.
- You should have industry experience after PhD as well as broad knowledge of various immune cell types.
Senior Research Associate – Bioassays
- Perform assays including ELISA, flow cytometry assay and functional cell-based assays and based on protocols already established.
- You should hold a BSc or MSc in biological discipline, ideally with some focus in cell biology, immunology or molecular biology.
Protein Scientist/Senior Protein Scientist
- Clone, express and purify Affimers for protein characterisation work and stability testing using a range of different expression platforms (bacterial and mammalian cells eg, CHO/HEK).
- You should have experience with standard protein production techniques, AKTA purification, and HPLC systems.