- Can work in a number of different industries including coatings, cosmetics and FMCG
- Develop formulations for products by mixing chemicals and often testing them by using application-specific methods
Quality Control (QC) Chemist
- Carry out tests on either raw materials, intermediates, finished products or packaging (or all of them), to ensure that quality of released products is maintained.
- Can use analytical instrumentation including HPLC, GC at FTIR, or can use application-specific methods.
- Could work in a range of industries including oil and gas, fine chemicals, FMCG, coatings or many others.
- Analyse any of a range of chemicals or materials using techniques including HPLC, GC, NMR, UV-Vis or wet chemistry.
- May work in various departments including QC, R&D and production.
Synthetic Organic Chemist
- Synthesise organic chemicals such as fine chemicals and fragrance chemicals
- May work at various scales from mg scale through to production
- May be involved in technology transfer and scale up
- May be involved in polymer synthesis, polymer characterisation and using polymers in formulations.
- Research and development into new products / processes or improvement of existing products / processes
- May work in a variety of industries including FMCG, fine chemicals or oil and gas.
- Work in the introduction, development or scale up of production processes
- Often work across various environments including laboratory, test rig, pilot plant or plant
- Work in the development, application, production or QC of coatings
- Manage all of the technical activities of a company
- Often oversee various departments including R&D, QC and Process Engineering
- Support the laboratory function of a company
- May be involved in activities such as maintaining laboratory stocks, general laboratory housekeeping and sample preparation
Technical Support Specialist
- Support the customers of a company, either over the phone, face to face or via email with technical queries related to a product.
- May be involved in additional activities including writing user manuals or reports and training customers and distributors.
- Will often work in a bridging position between laboratory R&D, production processes and customer support.
- Can work in a number of industries including coatings, speciality chemicals and FMCG
Quality & Continuous Improvement Manager
- Leads, coordinates and identifies areas for improvement, usually related to production and manufacturing
- Often heavily immersed in quality issues to ensure customer satisfaction
Regulatory & QC Officer
- Assists with regulatory functions such as compliance with standards and legislation
- Assists with QC testing while ensuring the results are regulatory compliant
- Manages all aspects of a particular project, often including direction of staff
- Could involve such aspects as financing, research interests, testing, development, production, commercialisation and more
- Often a supervisory or leadership role within manufacturing or production, but could be within QA/ QC/ etc.
- Allocates shift patterns; may work shifts themselves; acts as a go-between for different departments including raw materials, supply chain and more
QA Microbiologist/ Technician
- Quality Assurance in a microbiological capacity
- May include investigation of customer complaints; microbiological testing; logging of samples