13 Ways to Make a Good First Impression
So it’s your first day of your new science job and it is vital you make a great first impression. Here’s how…
Nothing creates a worse first impression than arriving late on your first day. Make sure you arrive a few minutes early to be on the safe side.
Dress the part
Wear something that will make you feel professional and confident.
On your first few days at work you will be bombarded with lots of information, a good way to help you remember it all is to take notes as you go along. This will also reassure your manager than no unnecessary questions will be asked later along the line!
Do your homework
Prior to your first day at work, do your homework about your company – learn about the history of the company, its products and its values etc. This will make you feel more at home in your new workplace.
Smile and relax
Being the newbie can be terrifying and it may feel like you are being watched, but be assured, you aren’t, so relax.
By listening carefully you will put yourself in the best possible position to gain as much knowledge about the company and its colleagues as you can.
Remember the names of your colleagues
From day one, make a real effort to know the names of those colleagues and superiors with whom you will be interacting with on a daily basis.
Avoid boasting about your achievements
This will not go down well with your colleagues, simply let your work speak for itself.
You will be received more positively if you introduce yourself before people introduce you.
Always ask for clarification if you don’t understand something.
Remember that’s what got you the job in the first place, so there is no need to act differently.
Behave like you are meeting a good friend
By doing this, you will instantly begin to smile and be more open.
Stand up straight
Don’t slouch, put your shoulders back and stand up straight.
More careers advice from CK Science:
- 14 Signs Your Interview Went Well
- 25 Interview Mistakes
- Assessment Centre Tips
- Before and during your interview
- Chemistry Industry Interview Tips
- Dress to Impress At Your Interview
- How to Take Control in Your Interview
- Interview Preparation
- Planning the journey to your interview
- Questions You Should & Shouldn’t Ask Your Interviewer
- Technology Industry Interview Advice
- Telephone Interview Tips
- The STAR Interview Technique
- 13 Ways to Make a Good First Impression
- CV Writing Tips
- How to apply for the RIGHT roles for you…
- How to get the most out of your recruitment agency
- Online Job Hunting Blunders
- Using a Scientific Recruitment Agency