Should you stay or should you go? Counter offer advice
So you’ve just been counter offered? Here are a few things to consider to help you decide whether to stay or whether to go:
- Does the counter offer tackle those underlying factors which were causing you dissatisfaction in the first place?
- Should word get out about your counter offer, would this damage the relationship you have with your colleagues?
- Think about your long-term career aspirations – which position makes the best use of your skills and offers strong professional development options?
- Why has it taken a situation such as this for your current employer to give your more responsibilities and increase your salary? If one of the reasons you were looking for a new position was that you felt undervalued, this is an important factor to consider.
- Could the fact that you have been looking around for new opportunities mean that your current employer sees you as less trustworthy? Will this hinder your prospects for future promotion?
- It is very easy to assume that this is the case. By counter offering you, your current company are demonstrating that you are of real value to them. If you are able to negotiate the offer to tackle those issues that were causing you dissatisfaction in the first place, accepting may well be your best option. After all, who’s to say that you wouldn’t be in the same position with the new company in 6 months time?
Other careers advice:
Applying for jobs
- How to apply for the RIGHT roles for you… + Youtube video!
- How to get the most out of your recruitment agency + Youtube video!
- Online Job Hunting Blunders
- Using a Scientific Recruitment Agency + Youtube video!
- 14 Signs Your Interview Went Well+ Youtube video!
- 25 Interview Mistakes + Youtube video!
- Assessment Centre Tips + Youtube video!
- Before and during your interview
- Chemistry Industry Interview Tips + Youtube video!
- Dress to Impress At Your Interview
- How to Take Control in Your Interview
- Interview Preparation
- Planning the journey to your interview
- Questions You Should & Shouldn’t Ask Your Interviewer
- Technology Industry Interview Advice + Youtube video!
- Telephone Interview Tips
- The STAR Interview Technique + Youtube video!