ACAL Energy Ltd is the world’s leading developer of low cost Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM) Fuel Cells systems, powered by ACAL Energy’s proprietary platinum free cathode technology (FlowCath®).
Based in North Cheshire, they are now recruiting for a Formulation/Speciation Chemist to join their team and are currently working on an exclusive basis with CK Science for this recruitment campaign.
The job purpose for this role will be to provide formulation chemistry expertise to develop better performing catalyst solutions for a range of operating conditions. You will also be responsible for performing formulation experiments to generate understanding of the physico-chemical properties of the catalyst solution and to contribute towards directing future research activities.
The major challenges and accountabilities of this role will be to:
- Identify and assess chemical formulation approaches to improve fuel cell performance under a range of operating conditions, & develop fundamental understanding in this area.
- Identify and evaluate chemical methods to tailor the physico-chemical properties of the FlowCath® solution to specific system requirements.
- Understand the interdependencies of physico-chemical properties and performance related parameters.
- Develop, maintain and operate appropriate experimental apparatus & procedures to conduct formulation studies.
- Ensure access to required areas of external expertise.
- Identify patent opportunities and assist with filing patents.
- Technical skills and knowledge required:
- Expertise in practical aqueous formulation chemistry, with a demonstrated understanding of the fundamental chemistry which influences solution behaviour and enthusiasm for laboratory working.
- Experience/understanding in areas such as chemical equilibria, speciation, thermodynamics, surface chemistry, phase behaviour, solvent effects and crystallisation is desirable.
- Educated to at least degree level or equivalent in Chemistry.
- Significant industrial experience in a formulation chemistry role with demonstrated experience of developing solutions and track record of delivery.
- Knowledge of physical chemistry methods for measuring physico-chemical properties.
- Demonstrated ability of playing a lead role in understanding interdependencies of properties and fundamental processes.
- Personal skills and attributes:
- Team player with well developed communication skills.
- Self motivated with personal characteristics to quickly integrate and make an impact within a team environment.
- Results oriented and standards driven, focused on delivery.
- Able to work independently and take ownership of targets.
- Attention to detail with a rigorous and methodical approach to work and experimentation.
- Proactive and flexible approach to work.
- Able to demonstrate a practical approach to problem solving using both systematic and creative thinking.
- Desire to see technical advancements through to completion.
ACAL Energy is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcome applications from all who meet our selection criteria. www.acalenergy.co.uk
How to apply:
ACAL Energy are recruiting through CK Science, please direct enquiries to Vicki Walker at email@example.com or 0114 2839956, or via our website, www.ckscience.co.uk quoting the relevant reference number.
If you do not hear back from us within 5 working days of your application for this role, it means that on this occasion you have not been shortlisted for the next stage of the recruitment campaign. Entitlement to work in the EEA is desirable
Please quote reference SH22354 in all correspondence.